Saturday 22 November 2014

Task 2a: Reflective Practices

I have been putting this next group of tasks off for quite some time now as I am not comfortable with writing down my thoughts on paper and to be honest, I am not really sure why.  I am not anxious in a literary sense, just maybe that the idea of seeing flaws in work in black and white is a little daunting.  Not for one moment am I entertaining the idea that my work is always perfect (I will quite happily re-work a section of choreography, even an entire dance over and over because I am not satisfied), just that by writing imperfections in my work down, it becomes like a permanent record in my mind.


I have however started to keep a journal now, so far just in a pros and cons bullet point format each day  that outlines what went well and also where I need to improve and so far this is working for me, perhaps because I can balance out the negativity with the positives.  I have found that this is having a little influence on my day to day work however, nothing huge yet, but I do feel more organised and seem to be on top of my work more than usual.  In turn this is making me less stressed and able to balance out my personal and work life without feeling guilty that I am out to dinner when there is work to be done at home.  The next step for my journal is to start writing in different ways as mentioned in the reader and other students blogs, to see if my journal can help me further within my work.


I read reader two after beginning my blog and there are some ideas within it that I am excited about exploring.  I recently auditioned for a company named 'Artis Education' who "physicalise the curriculum through performing arts" and one of the interview questions was, "can you order these in order of importance; engagement, fun, evidence of learning?".  This connects perfectly with John Dewey's work and insights into experience and reflection, so I am really looking forward to moving through these tasks and exploring in depth the learning processes and being able to evaluate myself and the reflective processes I use every day.  I must be doing something right too…I got the job! :)






4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job! I have friends who work for Artis and they love it!

    I identify with your first statement: when things are written down, they're permanent and I get how that can feel like a bad thing if the day hasn't gone so well. However I found that the process of getting things down on paper and the fact that writing slows my thoughts down has helped me to relax and focus and I actually find writing about the bad things quite cathartic as it helps me put things in perspective and admit to myself how I really feel rather than keeping it all bottled up.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job, sounds like it will work very nicely alongside this course!

    I began my journal in a similar way to yourself with the use of bullet points, and even still after experimenting with different methods and looking at multiple theorists I have stuck to this style. I find that writing blocks of text doesn't allow me to view it in a helpful way. Especially as I am used to jotting down bits for choreography and lessons, quote possibly like yourself. I'd be interested to know which style you decide to continue with? X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Emma - Dewey to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added to this - your reflection is showing your depth of engagement that is good to see for the programme. Cary this onto Part 3!

    ReplyDelete