Sunday 19 October 2014

Task 1d - 2d Images

As a teacher at a school that I do not own, I am not involved with marketing the school and so I do not need to take photos of the children I teach.  I do however use videography to add to the children's learning experience.

There are two ways in which I use this material; firstly I use video footage to show a child if they are performing a movement incorrectly so that they can see precisely what they are doing wrong.  The second way I use this material is to upload to a locked 'Vimeo' channel (one which I regularly change the password to) so children are able to practise exercises and dances in between lessons.  Before recording a child, I always ensure I have a signed consent form from each child's parent or guardian.  This protects my integrity as a teacher from any allegations of misuse of videography, something which I am extremely cautious of in todays society.

As mentioned in my previous blog, I am currently in the process of opening my own dance school.  With this in mind I have a section on the enrolment form that, once signed by a parent, will allow me to use photography/videography for promotion and marketing, provided it is used in line with the child protection act and my schools child protection policy.

I give permission to allow my child to have photos and/or videos placed on the Beatz & Bluez School of Dance Website and/or Beatz & Bluez School of Dance social media pages. Any photos/videos which are placed by those other than Emma Corboz , Beatz & Bluez School of Dance, its directors, agents, servants, employees, and those acting under its authority, will not be held responsible

However, unlike many schools that I have worked for in the past, I will be keeping the photographs and video footage on the schools marketing current and relevant to the students I am teaching at the time.  I feel this is only ethical practise as a responsible teacher, something I pride myself on being.



For the purpose of this task I have created a flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127032293@N07/

In this album I have tried to encapsulate the story of my life to date as a performer and display some of the moments closest to my heart.  I have always loved performing and I feel these photos show me at some of the highlights in my life on stage.


I also ran an search on google images on my own name and was not surprised when it returned seven photos of me.  However, I am slightly concerned that the photos that appear first are my old head shots and my new one is only the third in line, as I feel I have changed a lot facially and would not want prospective directors to be put off based on an old photo.  This is something that I am going to look into rectifying and have recently read the following story -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790326/google-deletes-18-000-uk-links-right-forgotten-laws-just-month-60-europe-wide-requests-come-fraudsters-criminals-sex-offenders.html

I hope to be able to remove some of the links associated with a google search on my name under this legislation so that in future only my new head shots appear.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea that you have a locked Vimeo channel for the kids at your school - it's good practice to protect their identities!
    For my 'day job' I follow a lot of local dance schools on Facebook - the business does not allow sharing or reposting of any images with the dance school's children in and I do wonder about the ethical implications of the schools themselves sharing and tagging these children on an open Facebook page. I understand it's good promotion for the school or for a particular show, but at the same time, what privacy concerns does this throw up when anyone can view the images on FB and search the school on Google Maps?
    xx

    ReplyDelete