Saturday 24 January 2015

Module 2: Task 4 (Part A)

Are there any ideas from work based or organisational knowledge theories of learning the could be used to understand your own professional inquiry?

Peter Senge's theories of learning helped me to consider how to begin thinking about this module and where to begin as before reading these ideas, I was completely stumped.  The line of inquiry that I am interested in (at this stage) is along the lines of 'How performing arts can enrich the curriculum' and looking back at module one, I feel I have good connections and prior knowledge in which to root research for this inquiry title.  

Considering how to explore this research using models of thinking as illustrated by Senge, I intend take his idea of 'team learning' (see quote 1. below), using my professional network as a source of information for research.  I am also aware that there are several others on the BAPP course interested in exploring other lines of inquiry related to teaching.  

1. Peter Senge on 'team learning' model:

The discipline of team learning starts with ‘dialogue’, the capacity of members of a team to suspend assumptions and enter into a genuine ‘thinking together’. To the Greeks dia-logos meant a free-flowing if meaning through a group, allowing the group to discover insights not attainable individually…. [It] also involves learning how to recognize the patterns of interaction in teams that undermine learning. (Senge 1990: 10)

For my own research purposes the team learning model in action will hopefully open up new perspectives on my line of inquiry and help me further develop my initial thinking and exploration.

Other ideas from Senge that I intent to use in understanding my line of inquiry are the different types of leaders; Leader as designer, leader as steward and leader as teacher.  As already acknowledged, a lot of my learning will hopefully come from lecturers/teachers, professionals, and peers which correlates with the 'leader as teacher' model.  Relevant literature will also play a vital role as well as stories/shared experiences - 'leader as steward'.  I have also always found that the best way to learn is through teaching, so I will in part become my own 'leader as designer' as I will be designing/developing my own ideas and sharing (teaching) these within my professional network.   

Along with the reader information, I also 'google' searched 'Peter Senge' quotes as I often find trying to pluck the relevant ideas/theories from a huge chunk of text quite over whelming.   This led me to find this quote:

Image source: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/405112928951114235/


I feel that throughout my upcoming inquiry research this will be a quote to live by, especially when I cannot seem to 'find' the 'right' answers.  


Double Loop Learning:


Image Source: http://www.afs.org/blog/icl/?p=2653

I found the 'double loop learning' concept (Argyris and Schon) interesting to read and it gave me some further ideas on how to develop my inquiry research.  I had initially thought of asking specific questions to individuals and recording their responses to these same questions.  Taking the double loop learning theory, if I find I am not achieving useful information through questioning, perhaps it would not necessarily be that I need to change the questions, but rather that I need to look to a different audience.  For example, if I were considering the use of performing arts in the SEN curriculum and my questions directed towards teachers, professionals and peers were leading me in circles, perhaps I would be able to arrange a performing arts workshop session with SEN leaners that either myself or another professional artiste leads and also take in some professionals to observe the class.  From this I could record first hand the results of performing arts within an SEN setting and compare this with the recorded first hand observations from the professionals of the same class. 


Do you work within a disciplinary context in the arts?  Or is your situation more transdisciplinary?

Looking at my current work situation (working in varying capacities for six different companies), I feel the answer depends on the day of the week!  

My role as an ISTD teacher is inter disciplinary as I work as a tap and modern dance teacher/choreographer/exam co-ordinator/director/parent liaison/head of department.  This skill set is amplified when I consider my own dance school, as not only am I responsible for the above, but also and not limited to, hall hire/marketing/accountancy/insurance/uniform orders/day to day running of the school.   

When working as a one to one teaching assistant within an SEN school, my role is more transdisciplinary as I rely heavily on my skills as a teacher whilst also taking responsibility for behaviour management and the individuals safety.  If there is an incident with behaviour, not only do I have to know the processes to deal with the individual 'in the moment', fill out relevant incident forms and inform those who are required to know, but also I then have to use this situation as a way of learning through reflection, how to try and avoid the same situation reoccurring in the future.  


What do you know?  How do you know it?

In some contexts I have a far greater knowledge than others and I think this is true of probably of the entire human population.  For example I know a great deal about performing and teaching including the theories, techniques and practices involved.  However, ask me anything about football and I am at a loss.  My boyfriend on the other hand is the complete opposite!

Reading through some other peers blogs, I do like the way in which Sinead approaches this question as a tool for where she learns from as opposed to considering what she already knows…


…and I feel this list will help me with ideas of places to turn for research when planning my inquiry.  


What knowledge and skills do you think you will need for the future?

Knowing that I want to go into either mainstream secondary performing arts teaching or SEN teaching, means that I will need to have attained a higher level of maths (a GCSE grade C or above) than I currently have.  Although this is a specific qualification, it is my skill and knowledge in mathematics that needs to improve in order to attain this grade when I sit the examination in June this year.  

Other skills that I will need to develop are the techniques to create written lesson plans as opposed to just notes and mental lesson plans.  

Although I would say I have good time management skills, my work load will increase ten fold when I go into my new career and and such I will have to develop two skills that I have not perfected as yet - delegation, and work/life balance.  

Along with the work/life balance ideal, I feel I need to find a solution to this sooner rather than later as I do have trouble 'switching off' and often find it difficult to sleep knowing that there is work I could be doing.  I have some friends who swim often so I am hoping to join them for early morning/late night sessions in the coming weeks to see if this aids this problem, as I am aware that this could develop negatively causing fatigue amongst other problems, which I simply do not have time for! 

Image Source: http://www.work-life-flexibility.de






No comments:

Post a Comment