Tuesday 10 March 2015

Ideas, Ideas, Ideas

I began looking at some of the extra reading today (as recommended by Paula) as I was really beginning to get confused about what interested me and what simply fulfilled the requirements of the task and my own needs -

1) Not a circular argument
2) Something original
3) Incorporating subject/skills knowledge to back up my proposed award title BAPP (Arts) Performing Arts Teaching
4) Developing my current knowledge in a professional manner
5) Something current 

Some of the key pointers that stood out for me (below) in helping develop my ideas were in the book 'How to Research' by Loraine Blaxter, Christina Hughes and Malcolm Tight.  

1. Create a personal development plan:

Image Source; Screenshot from reading (above)

2. Consider the research spiral:

Image Source: Screenshot from reading (above)

3. What is originality?

Image Source: Screenshot from reading (above)

4. Too many ideas…

Image Source: Screenshot from reading (above)


5. Where do I want my inquiry to lead me?

Image Source: Screenshot from reading (above)

At work today I spoke with a colleague who asked me if my research was to be qualitative or quantitative to which I was unsure.  When I spoke with Paula, she informed me that for the most part the piece will be qualitative, however some data - using typically smaller focus groups that quantitative research would usually use - should also be used to add weight to arguments, where applicable.  To ensure that I correctly and fully understood the differences between these two types of research, I found this link:



I also spoke with the head of an academy, mainstream secondary school in Derby today to try and further develop where my thoughts are going and these are some avenues which I now think would lead to a more relevant line of inquiry, taking into consideration my aspirations to complete a PGCE in dance/drama.

1) Key Stage 3 curriculum - currently one sentence for drama under the 'English' subject curriculum whereby children create, perform and rehearse work - means that it is dependent on the teacher to create a strong drama curriculum.  Research could consist of questionnaires to teachers in varying schools asking whether they feel it would be beneficial to have a set curriculum in its own right for drama of if they like this freedom and do they feel that students across the country are getting fair and equally good teaching currently, when drama is a subsidiary subject stemming from English. 

2) Benefits of BTEC over GCSE - Which has more real world potential for students/should students choose differently depending on whether they want to become performers or teachers ultimately?

3) Should Performing Arts been viewed as second rate (easy subjects) next to STEM subjects?  What about problems with absence? - catching up on a maths lesson can be done with a text book and a Youtube video vs. A missed performing arts lesson often means missed rehearsal time affecting the absent child's personal progress as well as that of other members of a performance groups.  This also helps teach the value of teamwork in a 'work' setting.  

4) Differences in exam boards - AQA 20% written 80% practical vs. EDEXCEL all controlled assessment.  Is this fair for gifted and talented actors who may struggle with written work.

5) This is also something I feel could be used within my research and something that may be of great interest to anyone looking at Performing Arts and Education;
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/23/ed-miliband-pledge-universal-entitlement-arts-education

All in all I feel that one of the above lines (probably number 3. as I feel most excited about this one) will ultimately be the route I choose to develop as these tie in better with where I want to go in the future, but in the meantime my head will be buried in literature! 


No comments:

Post a Comment