Tuesday 24 March 2015

Module 2: Task 6c - Award Title

Since embarking on the BAPP course, I have been mulling the award title over, back and fourth in my mind, as I am aware of how influential the title of the BA qualification I hope to hold upon completion will be, especially in respect of where I want to take the next steps within my career.

I initially thought that due to how many years I have training in the 'Arts', I should choose between either;

BA Hons Professional Practice (Dance)

BA Hons Professional Practice (Drama)

BA Hons Professional Practice (Performing Arts

BA Hons Professional Practice (Musical Theatre)

In order to help establish what my award title should be, I found it beneficial to find definitions of the above ideas;

(These definitions are the ones I consider to be most applicable for my use.  All definitions found at www.oxforddictionaries.com)

Dance:

... Dance steps and movements considered as an activity or art form:
the rules of classical dance
Drama:
...The activity of acting:teachers who use drama are working inpartnership with pupils
Performing Arts:
...Forms of creative activity that are performed in front of an audience, such as dramamusic, and dance:centre for the performing arts
Musical Theatre:
...A genre of drama in which singing and dancing play an essential part:successful professional career in musical theatre


I then considered including 'education' or 'teaching' alongside one of these options, for example;
BA Hons. Professional Practice (Dance Teaching)
BA Hons. Professional Practice (Drama Education)
However on further reflection upon the years spent training within dance, drama and musical theatre as a performer, I felt that I should not restrict myself at this point in my career by emphasising that I am  just a teacher rather than both a teacher and performer.  
Another exploratory path I took, was to use my professional network to assess what my colleagues Degree studies had involved.  This made me rule out 'Performing Arts' as this had apparently been mostly exploratory of Physical Theatre, something in which I have had little experience and therefore, awarding myself this title, I would feel like a fraud! Again, with a 'Musical Theatre' title, there would instantly been implied singing aspects, which although I have worked as a singer in the past, I would not want to become a music teacher at any point.  
As I already have accredited qualifications in Dance (through the ISTD) which are well recognised when applying for dance teaching positions, coupled with the fact that I would like to progress on to a PGCE in Secondary Drama (an area in which I have a great deal of experience professionally, as both a performer and teacher, but no official accreditation of this as yet), upon completion of the BAPP I have decided that the most suitable award title would be;
BA Hons. Professional Practice (Drama)
Rationale:
Training at the prestigious 'Italia Conti' School on the 'Performing Arts and Musical Theatre' (three year programme) course, before working professionally as an actress, presenter and dancer, I feel I have lots of knowledge and expertise within this area.  Throughout my training and professional career, I have always had a passion for teaching.  I am currently teaching drama and dance to pupils ranging between three and eighteen years as well as adults.  The professional knowledge I have gained throughout my performing career plays a huge role within my daily teaching, both in practical and theoretical elements of lessons.  Alongside my wealth of performing experience, I have worked as a teaching assistant in a variety of educational settings (mainstream primary, secondary and SEN) working with pupils aged three to eighteen years. Within this practice I have found my true passion lies within Secondary Education - Key Stages three to five.  Following my BA Hons. Professional Practice Degree, I wish to pursue a PGCE with QTS course to enable me to become a fully qualified teacher within this chosen field.  Although I do want to go into teaching, this title could also be used within further performance roles training (such as an MA in Drama), if this is a route I choose to follow at a later stage.  My chosen line of inquiry reflects this award title, as emotional literacy is of great relevance within the current National Curriculum and exploring ways to link this within drama lessons, I feel will definitely benefit my future work and my students education.  



1 comment: