Saturday 2 January 2016

Reflecting over module 3 and planning beyond the course

It has been a while since my last (and only) module 3 blog.  As discussed previously, I was late on developing ideas due to personal problems, however since then, the inquiry research took off like a steam train (developed down a slightly different path) and now I am almost ready to submit! 

I cannot believe that we are almost done... :) 

During module 3,  I developed my network at school as a priority over my social media interactions, simply because (a) I was behind on time and (b) I will be working alongside these teachers as part of my teacher training course, so I felt that networking with these people would be beneficial in the long run too.  

However, I have really missed this time to sit and reflect over my work and ideas so I wanted to get back into blogging, mainly for some 'me time' but also to help others who are in other modules if I can...I'm just a lovely person, what can I say?!

Considering the process as a whole entity, I would say that the research element was interesting, the ethical considerations (working in a school) were fairly time consuming - looking for policies/getting consent forms signed etc - but the analysis was the really difficult and very time consuming element for me.  I had to continually remind myself that it was all qualitative research and so, when writing up findings, I had to be overly careful not to state things as fact.  If anybody out there is struggling with this, have a look at 'hedging', something Paula introduced me to.  There is also a 'Pocket Study Skills' book entitled 'Planning Your Dissertation' (Kate Williams), which was my life line during the whole process...

I had real difficulty in separating what I was doing as part of the research (what had been planned for), from the work I was doing as part of my everyday role as a TA.  For example, I had to be careful to fully explain to the reader the situations and limitations I was working within, rather than assuming they knew (because I know as it is part of my job!).  Similar to painting a picture, I often missed out the sketching part and went straight to colouring in (I am also sure that if Paula were reading this then she would have an artistic name for that technique!), so the reader would have questioned how I had got from one bit to the other.

The artifact was an enjoyable section of the inquiry for me as I was able to see the positives of the inquiry and how the school were planning to use my research to hopefully benefit the teachers and therefore, the students.  As a soon to be teacher in training (get the 'L' plates ready!), this opportunity to aid the teachers would not have happened without the inquiry and for that, I am SO happy!

Moving forward, I am going to start working on the presentation so I will let you all know how that is progressing.  If I am honest,  I am a little nervous about the presentation, which as an actress sounds ridiculous I know, but the thought of doing an academic presentation that I have written is SCARY...

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about the inquiry process etc or anything that I may be able to help with, let me know as I am hoping to blog a few times a month during my teacher training :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment